Notes for the course PHIL 171: Reasoning for humans: Clear thinking in an uncertain world.
By Eric Pacuit (pacuit.org)
These notes will be continually updated troughout the semester. Please check back regularly.
The schedule for this semester can be found at the course webiste.
The following are links to additional reading on topics related to this course.
- Choice and Chance: An Introduction to Inductive Logic by Brian Skyrms: A book covering many of the topics we will discuss in this course.
- A good introduction to logic discussing a number of topics not discussed in this book (e.g., derivations)
- More information about First Order Logic can be found in Chapter 4: Predicate Logic, Logic in Action
- The Gambler's Fallacy
- The problem of priors and the principle of indifference
- The Lottery Paradox
- Unifying Logic and Probability: A New Dawn for AI? by Stuart Russell